News

NDLEA kicks against bail for 10 in N480bn Ogun meth lab

Published

on

NDLEA kicks against bail for 10 in N480bn Ogun meth lab

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has opposed the bail application filed by 10 defendants arrested during a raid on an alleged clandestine methamphetamine laboratory in a forest in Ogun State.

The agency said the defendants are an alleged organised network involved in the production and trafficking of methamphetamine and the acquisition and transportation of precursor chemicals.

The defendants are Anochili Innocent, Juan Carlos Meza Torrero, Nemecio Martinez Felix, Jesus Lopez Valles, Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor, Igwe Abuchi Remujus, Ifeanychukwu Chibuike Joshua, Omonughwa Kingsley Orike and Nwobum Emeka.

The alleged laboratory, which the prosecution valued at N480bn in its case, was discovered at Iloti Village, Ogun State.

They are facing charges relating to the alleged illicit production and trafficking of methamphetamine and possession of precursor chemicals used in its production.

When the matter came up before Justice Akintayo Aluko of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday, counsel for the defendants, Benson Ndakara, urged the court to grant his clients bail.

Ndakara told the court that he had applied to the vacation court to hear the bail application because of the urgency of the matter, arguing that the application concerned the fundamental rights of the defendants, who are currently being held in custody.

He said the prosecution had been served with the bail application and had filed its response.

In the affidavit supporting the application, the defendants argued that the first defendant was being unjustifiably detained, claiming that no hard drugs were found on him.

They also maintained that they were presumed innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

The defendants claimed that they intended to establish a poultry farm, piggery and alcoholic wine manufacturing business at the location where the alleged clandestine laboratory was discovered.

They further argued that the offences for which they were charged were bailable and pledged to provide reliable sureties if granted bail.

The applicants also cited alleged ill health, claiming that the health of some of them was deteriorating and required special medical attention.

They therefore urged the court to grant the application, assuring the court that they were prepared to provide reliable sureties.

However, counsel for the NDLEA, Buhari Abdullahi, opposed the application, arguing that there was no urgency to justify the defendants’ decision to approach the vacation court.

Abdullahi told Justice Aluko that the charge had already been filed before the regular court presided over by Justice Musa Kakaki of the same Federal High Court in Lagos.

He said the defendants had been arraigned, entered their pleas and that the court had ordered an accelerated hearing of the case.

According to him, the prosecution had already called its first witness, who had testified before the court.

The prosecutor said the NDLEA had detailed its objections to the bail application in its counter-affidavit.

He argued that the defendants posed a flight risk and that granting them bail would effectively amount to setting them free because they were likely to abscond.

Abdullahi told the court that three of the defendants were Mexican nationals, while the first defendant, whom the prosecution described as the alleged financier and organiser of the syndicate, had dual Nigerian and Mexican citizenship.

On the health concerns raised by the defendants, the prosecutor argued that no evidence had been presented to show that their conditions were beyond the capacity of medical facilities available at the correctional centre.

He said, “If at all that is true, it has not been established that it was of the nature that the medical facility at the correctional centre could not take care of.”

Abdullahi further argued that the charge arose from the activities of an organised network allegedly involved in the production and trafficking of methamphetamine, as well as the acquisition and transportation of precursor chemicals.

He said the case involved 10 defendants, comprising three foreign nationals and seven Nigerians, which, according to him, demonstrated the international and transnational nature of the alleged criminal enterprise.

The prosecutor also rejected the defendants’ claim that the facility was intended for legitimate businesses such as poultry, piggery and alcoholic wine production.

He told the court that an investigation by the agency showed that the alleged clandestine laboratory at Iloti Village, Ogun State, was “owned, financed and sponsored” by the first defendant and was established and equipped for the illicit production of methamphetamine.

According to him, NDLEA operatives recovered various equipment, apparatus, chemicals and materials allegedly associated with the production of controlled substances from the facility.

He specifically mentioned Propyl-2-Propanone, which he said is a major precursor agent for the production of methamphetamine.

Abdullahi said the prosecution would rely on physical, documentary, forensic and laboratory evidence during the trial.

He urged the court to dismiss the bail application.

After listening to arguments from both sides, Justice Aluko adjourned the ruling on the bail application until September 2, 2026.

Click to comment

Trending News

Exit mobile version